Sunday, May 14, 2006

Read This, NSA!

Hey, NSA, rumor has it that you're spying on millions of Americans, so I hope you're reading this. In fact, my feelings would be hurt if you aren't. Am I not worthy of your attention? Come on, I say bad things about politicians all the time. If I were you, I wouldn't let me get away with it.

A couple of days ago, I was sitting in a Starbucks, not spying on anyone but unable to avoid hearing a loud discussion taking place among four men sitting next to me, all of whom appeared to be in their 60s. I would guess that this was a regular group of friends getting together for overpriced, fancy coffee, just as I was doing on my own.

They began discussing the domestic spying revelations, and, to a man, they couldn't understand what all the fuss was about. Why should anyone worry about having their telephone conversations intercepted if they aren't doing anything wrong?

And I thought, how can people who are old enough to have lived through Vietnam, J. Edgar Hoover, Watergate, 9/11, the bogus weapons of mass destruction, and the Iraq invasion still be so ignorant? These people really believe that their government always looks out for their best interests, doesn't lie, and would never mislead them.

Maybe we should make refresher courses on the Constitution mandatory. The last time I checked, the current administration had not totally obliterated the Fourth Amendment, which states, quite clearly I think, that:

"The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

Look it up, while you still can. But be careful because the mere act of making such a search will subject you to scrutiny by the government.

In short, Wake Up, America!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home