Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Real Thing

I've been thinking about the horrible event in Pennsylvania Amish country. I don't want to think about it, but I can't help it.

Two things occur to me, and I'll keep it short. First, like you, I read and hear about human atrocities every day, but this one really got to me. I felt profoundly sad, and also angry, about what happened.

Second, when I read that the families of the victims consoled the family of the gunman, I could only feel awe. If it's true that these people can forgive the man who took their little girls, then what I must be seeing is true Christianity at work. I don't mean the kind that people talk about and may even convince themselves they have, I mean the real thing. I think it's more than most people could ever do, and it's the real story here.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 AM, Blogger Michelle said...

I absolutely agree. It is so nice to see faith in action as opposed to merely hearing it debated on radio talk shows. Not that there's anything wrong with radio talk shows. ;-)

Teacher Grrl from that other place...

 
At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice post.

Also, I tuned in to hear your radio show and am dismayed to find out it is cancelled.

You guys should syndicate it for public radio.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home